Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Why hesitation leads to Mold Growth in the RGV.
A water loss from a faulty pipe can lead to mold if not handled properly.
Rey Luna - Sales & Marketing
Every day I walk into the office and pop in on our crew during their morning meeting to say, “Good morning” and every day, they’re responding to a new emergency.
SERVPRO professionals handle water damages on a daily basis and the most important thing to them is to take action as soon as possible to prevent mold growth.
Mold is likely to spread in an environment that has been subject to moisture for an extended period of time. If your property has sustained recent water damage, it is vital to extract any excess water/moisture and dry out the structure right away.
In an area like ours, down here in the RGV, quick action is especially critical. Since we have a warmer climate, combined with almost 100% humidity pretty frequently, it is crucial that we respond without any hesitation.
Here is a list of things to be on the watch for once you notice that there is moisture present:
- The presence of visible mold,
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
- Stagnant or “stale” air.
Certain conditions may even require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
Now, after seeing just how much effort goes into mitigation work, it’s clear to see why these are situations that require special professional attention.
Does Your Home Have a Mold Problem
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 956-277-0645
Conditions in the Rio Grande Valley are Just Right for Mold
It’s estimated that more than 1 million types of mold exist, yet less than 10 percent have actually been named. This means mold is very common in both indoor and outdoor environments. While mold and humans can sometimes co-exist without issue, there are certain species of mold that can cause health effects for some people.
If the right conditions exist, mold will grow. Those conditions include:
- Water - Different mold types require varying amounts of liquid before growth begins.
- Temperature - Normal indoor temperatures will promote mold growth.
- Time - Initial mold colonizers can take hold within one day after being exposed to an adequate water supply.
Mold growth can occur in any home, so it’s important to keep an eye out for situations that might promote mold activity. Roof/chimney leaks, wet basements, or condensation from ducts that dampen surrounding insulation are just a few examples of issues that make a house a prime target for mold growth.
If you suspect mold in your home, call SERVPRO of Harlingen and San Benito to assess the situation. We have the knowledge, tools and track record to effectively remediate mold in your home or business.
If you suspect mold, call us today at 956-277-0645
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Harlingen and San Benito for mold remediation services.
During the springtime, everyone likes to do a lot of spring cleaning. They vigorously clean the bathrooms, laundry rooms, kitchens, and well they try to clean their entire home. There are some things that we do out of habit that can make our homes back to the uncleanliness. Some of these habits that we do we wouldn’t even think about. Picture this a Saturday morning you are getting ready to have your cleaning day, and you start doing the laundry. Once you finished with all of your laundry what do you do to make the laundry to look nice is to close the door of the washing machine. As soon as you close the door to the washing machine without letting it dry, it starts to have fungal growth and get a particular smell that everyone knows as the wet dog. Just remember to leave your washing machine open for a little bit after you use it to make sure that it dries properly. SERVPRO of Harlingen and San Benito wants to let you know that we are here for you no matter what.
Fungal Growth In A Humid Area
Living in an extremely humid area such as the Rio Grande Valley fungal growth is something that becomes very prevalent in our community. Whenever there is a water damage in a structure, the owners of the structure must make sure that the area affected by the water was dried up properly and promptly. When SERVPRO of Harlingen and San Benito gets a call to a water damage we arrive quickly because we know the longer the water stays the easier it is for fungal growth to appear. As soon as we get there we have our air movers and dehumidifiers to get rid of the moisture in the structure. So when you are in need of a highly trained production team to cleanup the damages caused by water then call SERVPRO of Harlingen and San Benito at (956)277-0645 no matter the time there is a crew here ready to help you in your time of need!