DOs and DON'Ts of Fire Damage
A fire can leave behind soot, smoke damage and a host of other problems. Ceilings, walls, wood work, carpeting and floors will often need a thorough professional cleaning. If your home or business suffers a fire, it is important to take the appropriate steps to prevent further damage until SERVPRO of Harlingen & San Benito arrive. The following tips may help reduce damage and increase chances of successful restoration.
1. limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet
2. keep hands clean, soot on hands can further soil upholstery walls and woodwork.
3. place dry, colorfast towels or old linens rugs upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
4. Change HVAC filters and leave system off unitl a trained professional can check the system
1. Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Harlingen/San Benito.
2. Don't attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture.
3. Do not consume any food or beverages that may have been stored closed to the fire, heat, or water, as they may be contaminate.
4. Don't send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.