Rio Grande Valley home owners and renters did your pipes freeze earlier this month? Trust us, we know how difficult it must have been. Not only were many people without water and electricity, but not many realized that their pipes would freeze, too! For next time, what are we supposed to do when that happens? Here are some helpful tips!
- If you know your pipes are prone to freezing, turn off your water supply to prevent them from bursting!
- Be aware that pipes don’t always freeze in the same places. If you think you may have prevented the problem in one place, it may not be so for another.
- Open your faucet and run a bit of water through your pipes, to prevent them from freezing.
- NEVER use heat, such as an open flame, to thaw your frozen pipes. This is a fire hazard.
- These are just a few simple tips to keep in mind. Remember to contact a professional plumber afterwards.