10 SPRING CLEANING TIPS/IDEAS (Pt. 2)
6. Appliances: Yes… it’s easy to just sweep the floors you can see, but don’t forget about those hard to reach spots. This is probably easier with 2 people. Take your vacuum and be sure to get all around the refrigerator coils and beneath the fridge as well. This will help the fridge run better and put less stress on it which will help it last longer. Buying small plastic bins will help keep the contents inside neat, organized and help prevent things from spilling.
7. Clutter: Sell your unused items. This is a great way to not only clear up some space in your home, but also an easy way to make some spare cash! Try having a garage sale and parting with a few things you may not have any more use for. An easy rule to go by is that if you’ve had it stored for over a year and a half… chances are you really can do without it. With the power of the internet, it’s that much easier! Tons of useful apps and platforms allow you to list your items for sale with just a click of a button. Many of these you may have already heard of, but we’ll list a few platforms below.
- Facebook Marketplace
- Let Go
- Craig’s List
- Posh Mark
- Offer Up
8. Décor upgrade: If you’ve followed tip number 7, you may have some space to spare in your home now. Adding a few small decorative items can really give your space a new look. The great thing about small décor pieces is that they are relatively cheap. *Hint- try the same apps mentioned above ??. Simple cosmetic upgrades can really transform your home and maybe even enhance your mood. Try a fresh coat of paint for an accent wall and you’ll have a total room makeover for about the same price as a nice dinner.
9. Don’t forget outside! With so much focus on the interior of the home, we don’t want to forget about that “curb appeal”. This is an area that can be handled at a low cost but may take some time. Keeping the yard nice and trim keeps your home looking great. A quick addition of mulch around trees and bushes give you a great traditional look for only about $3 dollars a bag. If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, try taking a trip over to your local flea market and seek out some patio furniture. You’ll be surprised at the items you’ll be able to find and the savings that go with it!
10. Relax! And Enjoy the “new” space! invite some friends or family over and take pride in your hard work! New additions and improvements to your home don’t have to cost a lot to get the result you desire. You’ll find that the more you keep up with your home, the more you’ll enjoy spending time there and so will friends and family.
10 SPRING CLEANING TIPS/IDEAS (Part 1)
We’re wrapping up another short-lived Spring Season here in the RGV. Summer’s here! Hello, triple digit weather!
We get home from a long day at work and rush out of the car and try to get into the house as quickly as possible to cool off. The last thing we want to come home to is a messy, cluttered house.
TOTAL MOOD KILLER!
Clutter can add more stress and anxiety to our busy lives. Having a clean, organized space can help you relax and feel more energized.
Here are 10 Tips from the Cleaning Pros here at SERVPRO to help you get organized and enjoy your time at home a little bit more:
Pick out which days certain tasks are assigned. Sometimes we think of spring cleaning as a one time, single-day event. Because we know how much work it’s gonna be… we end up procrastinating.
Breaking down the tasks throughout the week can help make things a little more manageable. Set aside just 15 to 20 minutes a day and you’ll have everyone asking how you keep the house so clean all the time.
Having one day designated for a major cleanout is great, but it can quickly revert back to where you started without a proper maintenance schedule.
Below is a sample weekly schedule to help get things moving.
Monday: Dusting, sweeping- doesn’t seem like a very hard task, but when it’s the only task to focus on you’ll be surprised all the corners that get neglected. Don’t forget those baseboards!
Tuesday: Kitchen- dishes, clear up counter space to avoid clutter
Wednesday: Humpday! Maybe a good day to do the laundry now that we have momentum in the middle of the week.
Thursday: Bathrooms. Probably the most dreaded chore but you’ll find that the more you stick to the schedule, the lighter and lighter the cleaning becomes.
Friday: Moving into the weekend we suggest leaving your floors for this day. With all the foot traffic during the week, this is a perfect time to get ‘em done. Right before the weekend when you may have guests coming over.
Satur…. Pfff! Yeah right! TAKE THE WEEKENDS OFF! #TREATYOSELF #carnesazo
We may be adults, but let’s be honest here… we forget things too. It’s easy to look around and see everything that needs to be done but having an actual written list of things to do helps you make sure you don’t skip anything. Plus, actually seeing checks next to all the things you’ve knocked out gives you a feeling of accomplishment and gives you a visual of the work that’s been finished.
Having the right equipment can help get things done a lot faster and make things a lot easier. Don’t be afraid of spending a few dollars on gear. Getting that gadget you’ve always wanted might make you excited to use it and help you enjoy your housework.
- High Traffic Areas: It’s good to give special attention to areas that are used more frequently than others. Because these spaces see more use, they are more prone to harbor bacteria and germs. Make sure to disinfect and wipe them down. Some examples of those can be -
- Hallway baseboards
- Carpets (runners)
- Door handles
- Light switches
- Loose Power Cords:
This small task can make a huge difference in how your entertainment areas look. Having loose cords or hanging wires coming down from TVs, game systems, or other electronic can make a space seem messy even though it’s clean. A simple fix is to grab yourself some rubber bands or even better: zip ties. They’re super inexpensive and make a great way to neatly hide and tuck away all those cables.
Stay tuned in for Part 2 soon!
Getting your A/C units cleaned
We all know that we are supposed to change our filters on our A/C units and we all know that once in awhile that we need to have our A/C technician to come out to the house to clean the coil because it will inevitably get dirty. Well, why don’t you get SERVPRO a go at it, our technicians have the training to clean the blower and even the ducts. Our technicians will give you detailed steps on how to care of your A/C unit by talking about which filters are the correct ones to use and other helpful tips to keep your A/C unit running for a very long time. We all know someone that sneezes as soon as they enter their home or people that have year-round “allergies” it may just be happening because your/their blower or ducts are dirty. So, the next time you are about to pick up your phone to call your A/C technician how about giving SERVPRO of Harlingen and San Benito a call (956)277-0645. We will make your A/C units look like you have never even used them.
Clean Air Ducts Mean Clean Air!
Did you know that dirty air ducts have the potential to circulate odors and contaminants like dust and mold throughout your home?
Just call SERVPRO of Harlingen/San Benito at (956) 277-0645 and we will send a team of our trained specialists to take care of you! They will examine your ductwork and make a clean sweep using our Ventilation & Air Duct Cleaning System technologies!
Do not worry! Our team can remove years of dust and grime built up, which can not only improve conditioning operation and efficiency, but reduce health affecting allergens!
Just give us a call and remember that here at SERVPRO of Harlingen/ San Benito we care and our goal is to help make it... Like it never even happened.